20 Questions With Doireann Garrihy
1. When are you happiest?
When I’m sea swimming down in County Clare. Can’t beat the Atlantic!
2. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
To look back on every day, every week, every month (and so on) and be able to say “I couldn’t have done any better”. My Dad said it to me years ago and I think about it daily.
3. What’s your most treasured possession?
At the moment, my coffee machine. I don’t know where I’d be without it at 4.30am before I hit the road for work!
4. What did you have for dinner last night?
Garlic and chilli prawns with chips and a glass of white wine. The notions!
5. Past, present or future, which five people are on the guest list for your ideal dinner party??
Marty Morrissey, Tommy Tiernan, Beyonce, Lewis Capaldi and Kris Jenner. An eclectic mix, I know.
6. What was your most embarrassing moment on air?
Eoghan pulled a prank on me where I thought I had lost a listener’s 5,000 euro that would have gone towards surgery for his sick dog. I was distraught and started crying and shaking like a leaf. My heart was in the right place though, so it’s not TOO embarrassing!
7. A film you’d watch again tonight?
Dodgeball. I don’t think it gets the level of credit it deserves. I laugh out loud every time!
8. How would your friends describe you in three words?
Up For Craic! (I think)
9. What song instantly puts you in a good mood?
Cardi B and Bruno Mars ‘Finesse’. It is simply impossible to sit still when it’s on.
10. What advice do you give to people who want to pursue a career in media?
Be patient, and be willing to do whatever you can to get your foot in the door. Always be 10 steps ahead of the person you think you’d be up against for a job!
11. What is your all-time favourite food?
My Mom’s hake bake. The cheese is EVERYTHING.
12. Your idea of hell on earth?
Being buried alive with rats. They are my biggest fear. Throw a spider on me and I won’t flinch, but rats are a different story altogether.
13. Who is the one person living or dead that you wish you could interview on your podcast The Laughs of your Life?
Graham Norton. This is my plea! Graham, will you give me 40 minutes of your time?!
14. What excites you most about your work?
Not knowing what might happen on air. When a generic chat turns into a golden moment, there’s no better feeling. You could plan a show within an inch of its life but you can never plan those moments, which I love.
15. What is on your bucket list?
To go back to Australia! I visited my sister for 3 weeks while she lived there and didn’t want to leave. I would love to do 6 weeks over there and take in all of the best bits.
16. Most impressive dish you can throw together?
Can I say porridge?! I nail the consistency and the oats/milk ratio every time, not to mention my exquisite choice of toppings depending on the season, if I say so myself!
17. What is the most important life lesson being on the TV & Radio has given you?
To be grateful for what I have and what I do. I have such fun every day and count myself very lucky to be in this industry. But it’s also taught me that things can change very quickly…one minute you can be just the person for a job, the next you’re at the bottom of the list. So make the most of it while it lasts!
18. What living person do you most admire?
Gay Byrne. What a life, what a career, what a man!
19. How would you like to be remembered?
As someone who was kind. And good craic, that’d be a bonus!
20. What is the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
Made the decision to throw in the towel with acting and give broadcasting a go. Acting was all I ever wanted to do, but it simply wasn’t sustainable. So I made a leap, gave radio a go and haven’t looked back.
Doireann Garrihy will be at the NDC stand at the National Ploughing Championships on the 17th September! Doireann will be on hand to meet fans of her RTE Player show The Doireann Project and she will be chatting to Donal Skehan as he cooks up some delicious recipes at our demo area! Come visit us in Block 3, Row 18, Stand 397 #Ploughing19