A fabulous chocolate cake. This delicious cake can be made in a 20cm (8 in) foil container, allowed to cool in the container, and then iced. This makes it perfect
to take on a picnic or to sell at a cake sale.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/ Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm (8 in) deep cake tin and line with non-stick baking paper. If using a foil container, grease this well.
- 2 Blend the cocoa with the hot water in a large bowl and leave to cool. Add the remaining cake ingredients to the bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 3 Spoon into the tin and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the cake has shrunk slightly from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- 4 Turn out, remove the paper and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 5 To make the icing, measure the cocoa, butter, milk and icing sugar into a bowl. Beat well to a light, smooth consistency.
- 6 Spread over the top of the cake and swirl attractively with a round-bladed knife. Leave to set before serving.
For the cake
- 2 level tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 100 g (4 oz) baking spread, from fridge
- 100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
For the icing
- 25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter, softened
- 2–3 tbsp milk
- 100 g (4 oz) icing sugar, sifted