MEXICAN SMOKY CHICKEN AND PEPPER STEW
Hey you! Are you searching for healthy dinner ideas? Or is it healthy Mexican dinner recipes? Either way we’re pretty sure this Mexican Smoky Chicken And Pepper Stew is the kind of dish you are looking for.
From tacos and tortillas to spicy burritos, soups and stews, Mexican food is the king of comfort food and this recipe is a stress free, lighter way to hit that craving. This recipe is from our friend (and fellow dairy aficionado) Annie Bell’s cookbook The Modern Dairy.
Dried ancho chilli provides a smoky savoury hit in this juicy chicken stew, with lots of paprika and red peppers that work so well together they would give Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield a run for their money.
The flavors of this stew are clean and sharp; and soured cream is a natural right hand man to this marvelous-midweek-Mexican-meal, softening the juices without being remotely rich.
ALSO, we almost forgot. This is served with avocado! Which is great news because avocado packed with goodness and is the perfect companion to Mexican food (or any food, avo is life).
Okay, Ándale! Ándale! Time to get this Mexican show on the road.
- 1 Place the ancho chilli in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and soak for 20 minutes, turning it over halfway through.
- 2 Drain, pull out the core and coarsely chop, discarding the seeds. Set aside.
- 3 Heat a large cast-iron casserole over a medium heat, and season the chicken pieces on each side.
- 4 Add a tablespoon of the oil to the pan and colour the chicken on both sides, working in batches, removing the pieces to a bowl as you go.
- 5 Tip out the fat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, turn the heat down a little and fry the onion and peppers for 6–8 minutes until starting to colour, stirring occasionally.
- 6 Stir in the garlic, spices, mint or oregano and chopped chilli and fry for a further couple of minutes until fragrant and lightly golden.
- 7 Add the canned tomatoes, and stir the chicken into the sauce, pressing the pieces down to almost cover them. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over a low heat for 1 hour, turning the pieces halfway through.
- 8 Divide the chicken between warm plates or shallow bowls, skim the excess oil off the surface of the sauce, taste and, if wished, simmer to reduce and concentrate the flavour a little before ladling it over the chicken.
- 9 Serve with a dollop of soured cream, some diced avocado and chopped coriander scattered over.
FOR THE STEW
- 1 dried ancho chilli
- Sea salt, black pepper
- 1.4–1.6kg free-range chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 long red peppers, cores and seeds removed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or oregano
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons soured cream
- 4 tablespoons diced avocado
- Coarsely chopped coriander
- Small bowl
- Large cast-iron casserole
- Frying pan
- Shallow bowls
More tasty recipes like this
More tasty recipes
- 15 min
- 4 servs