8 reasons to practice yoga in the morning
Yoga can be practiced anytime, anywhere…usually. But yoga was originally meant to be practiced
at dawn and dusk, hence the name: sun salutations. Sun salutations are a great way to wake up
and energise the body in the morning and here are 8 reasons why.
- This is an obvious one. First thing in the morning, the body is stiff and lethargic. By having a
simple yoga practice of maybe 5 or 20 minutes, you can energise and waken up the body in
preparation for your day, helping you to start moving with more ease, and maybe not rely so
much on the coffee to help wake you up.
- By doing a few shoulder and hip openers in the morning you will bring an awareness of
movement to your body and improvement to your posture which you will hold throughout the
- You will also help prevent back, shoulder and neck pain which comes from sitting, driving,
being hunched over for long periods of time.
- By practicing yoga in the morning, the body’s metabolism is boosted, and so is the digestive
system. When circulation is boosted and the internal organs have been gently massaged by
yoga postures, the digestive system is far more efficient at releasing toxins and properly
digesting our food.
- Practicing yoga in the morning could be the only time of day that you really move, stretch and
breath or alternatively maybe you feel like sitting still and focusing on your breath. Whichever
you prefer, this could be the only time of day that you are moving or still but with
consciousness. That is huge!
- If you feel a need for a stronger workout in the morning then power yoga or a vinyasa class will
help you physically stretch and strengthen but will also give your mind a workout which will
create space in the brain and is proven to help you make clearer, more concise decisions.
- By spending time moving with your breath, you will help your mind become aware throughout
the day, when your breath is short and you need to sit and calm down. Over time you will
automatically use your breath to calm yourself in stressful or anxious situations.
- Practicing yoga in the morning helps create a routine that is JUST for you. No one else. This is
your special few minutes to just focus on yourself. By taking this time out for yourself, you will
appreciate and be kinder to the people around you more.
Follow @YogaJess7 on Instagram for the latest on classes and a zen life!
In need of some breakfast inspo? Try our Irish Berry Blast Smoothie or keep an eye on our Instagram to see what we’re eating!
Tuesday off to a flying start with this dreamy breaky ✨ Oats cooked with fresh milk until thick and creamy, topped with banana, coconut chips, nuts, sweet raisins and a sprinkle of bee pollen! More breakfast inspo on thecompletenatural.ie. (‘tis far from bee pollen for breakfast we were reared) #thecompletenatural