5 Stretches When Sitting at a Desk
by Jess Oatway
Give your joints and muscles a little TLC during the workday by stretching, and getting some relief from those repetitive motions. With these five stretches, you don’t even need to leave your desk!
Turn away from your computer screen. Move to the edge of your seat so both meet are flat on the ground. Focus on your breathing and let the inhale and exhale become smooth and even. Try to maintain this through the poses.
- Stretch both arms over your head. Palms facing each other. Take hold of your right wrist with your left hand and gently pull your left arm up towards the ceiling (inhale) then lift up and over to the right (exhale). Hold for 3-5 breaths (full inhale and exhale). Repeat on other side. Release arms by your side after finishing both sides. This works your side body and your fascia.
- Place both hands on your shoulders. Bring your elbows to touching infront of your face. Keeping hands on your shoulders, start to move your elbows in big circles on way the other way. Repeat 10 times both sides. This helps loosed your shoulder blades and spine.
- Gomhukasana – cow pose arms. Stretch right arm up the ceiling, then place right palm on your back. Stretch left arm out to the side (aeroplane arm) turn so thumb faces the ground, then bring hand to rest on your back, knuckle side facing your back. Aiming to get your two hands to touch. If they don’t touch, don’t worry about it, find something that doesn’t have a stretch and use as a rope between both hands. This opens your shoulders. Over time the shoulders will open more and the hands will touch. Also notice the difference on both sides. Hold for 3-5 breaths.
- Garudasana – Eagle pose arms. Bend your arms out infront of you, bringing your elbows in line with your shoulders. Place left arm under right. Either have your knuckles facing each other or if you can bring your left finger tips or palm of your hand around to touching of your right palm. Let your chin rest comfortably on your arms. Start to raise your elbows up, lifting out of your hips, stretching your spine, bringing your arms over your head as if trying to touch the wall behind you. Hold for 3-5 breaths. Release slowly, and proceed to other side.
- Finish with a twist to loosen the spine. Sit tall, both feet on the ground, with even distribution of weight in the feet and hips. Place your left hand on your right knee.Place your right hand behind you on the chair or back of the chair. Inhale and sit taller, exhale slowly twist to the right. If you want to go deeper in the twist move your hand further behind you to the back edge of the chair. Hold for 3-5 breaths. Repeat on other side.